Silicon Valley Independent Living Center hosts weekly workshops every Friday from 9:30-11:30 a.m. for individuals who need assistance in finding accessible and affordable housing. People with disabilities experience greater discrimination in the area of housing than any other minority population. With a high cost of living in Santa Clara County, finding suitable and permanent housing can be a very difficult journey. SVILC provides group workshop and opportunities to work with a Housing Specialist on the following:
- Developing housing search strategies
- Information about Section 8 and other subsidized and low income housing
- Information and referrals to other community housing resources
- Understanding your housing rights as a person with a disability
- Applying for emergency financial assistance for rent, security deposit, utilities, and other critical family needs – RESTRICTIONS APPLY
The workshops are held at their office located at 2202 N. First St., San Jose. For more information, contact Andora Alvarez at (408) 894-9041 or email at email@example.com.